Somerset Music's qualified teachers offer lessons in guitar, bass, piano, clarinet, voice, keyboards, composition and improvisation, music theory and musicianship and specialised HSC tuition.
At Somerset Music we place an emphasis on tailoring a curriculum to a particular students needs. All of our Teachers are degree qualified, or currently completing a Music Degree, and most also have education qualifications.
We work closely with many of the local High Schools Music Departments to ensure that students are being developed according to school curricula where appropriate.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR SOMERSET MUSIC ACADEMY
CASUAL/AD-HOC LESSONS - $35 per ½ hour lesson - $65 per 1 hour lesson
- Casual Lessons (non-timetabled) may be booked at any time, and must be paid for at the time of booking
MULTI-LESSON PACKS - $32.50 per ½ hour lesson - $60 per 1 hour lesson
- 4 Week Multi Lesson packs maybe purchased and will be at a discounted rate from casual lessons
- All four lessons must be booked at the time of purchase and must be booked for 4 consecutive weeks
- Time slot and teacher availability is not guaranteed beyond these 4 weeks.
SOMERSET ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP - $30 per ½ hour lesson - $50 per 1 hour lesson
- Members of Somerset Music Academy qualify for discounted lessons, as well as discounts on in-store purchases.
- Academy Members are automatically enrolled in their lesson time slot for the same time every week or fortnight, until we are notified of a change to or a cessation of your membership. Your time slot becomes yours indefinitely whilst membership remains current.
- Membership requires an automated payment authority, linked to a valid credit or debit card to pay for lessons weekly in advance. Payments will be processed via There is a standard surcharge for American Express, but none for Visa or Mastercard.
- Any payments that are declined will attract a dishonour fee charged by Ezidebit, whilst multiple declined payments will result in the loss of a student’s time slot, teacher and membership.
- We require 2 weeks notice to discontinue membership payments permanently.
- All Cancellations must be notified directly to the sales staff at Somerset Music by calling (02) 4603 5958 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A student/parent may cancel a scheduled lesson by providing at least 24 hours notice, and will not be charged for an early cancellation. Members will have their next automatic payment suspended in order to balance the account.
- If a student/parent cancels a lesson with less than 24 hours notice, but they notify us prior to 11am Mon-Fri, or 9am for a Saturday, they will still be charged for the lesson, but are eligible for a make up lesson at a mutually agreeable time.
- If a student fails to show up for a lesson, or cancels after 11am on the day of the lesson, they will still be charged for that lesson, and will not have the option of rescheduling.
- Make-up lessons may be scheduled directly with store staff, by telephone or by email. make-up lessons must be taken within 6 months of the original lesson.
- If a student’s teacher is absent, we will endeavour to find them a suitable replacement teacher. If we are unable to do this, the lesson will be cancelled and they will not be charged.
- If a student/parent frequently cancels, suspends payments for or fails to attend scheduled lessons, we may discontinue the student’s booking and offer the spot to another student.
- Somerset Music has a comprehensive Child Safe policy in place, which is available on request. All our teachers and staff have current working with children checks. We operate an open door policy and parents are welcome to join their children in the lesson, and also have the option of waiting in our lounge area.
- Somerset Music can not take responsibility for the supervision of children under the age of 18 before and after lessons.
All of our teachers are qualified with appropriate music degrees or are working towards their qualifications. All of our teachers have current Working with Children certification and are skilled and experienced upon the instruments they teach.
David Eaton BMus
Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Vocal, Composition and Improvisation, Musicianship and Stage 6 Music Tuition
Dave is the Head Teacher of Somerset Academy, and is one of the teachers our school was founded upon. Over 6 years, he has taught over 200 students ranging from primary school to retirees, specializing in high school students and the HSC/Stage 6 Music tuition. In the last five years, Dave's students have included 2 HSC Performance Band 6 students and over 10 Performance Band 5 students, including two ex-students who now hold Music degrees of their own and one currently undertaking their own music degree.
Dave graduated with his own Bachelor of Music degree from the University of Western Sydney in 2002. He has 28 years experience as a musician and has played guitars and keyboards in many different groups, most notably the band 'Anubis' who have released five records and toured internationally.
As well as instrumental tuition, Dave focusses upon musicianship and aural perception, tutors composition as part of a wholistic musical programme designed specifically for each student's needs.
Dave especially encourages creativity and has helped a number of students to develop and record their compositions. He has also worked extensively with Campbelltown Council in developing young musicians in the wider district, speaking in his capacity as a working musician and teacher.
David is in very high demand and is only able to take limited enrollments for 2017.
Reece Denton BMus
Drums, Piano, Guitar, Music Theory and Musicianship
Reece graduated from the University of Western Sydney in 2015 with a Bachelor of Music degree. He began his Musical journey, primarily as a drummer before diversifying and taking on a number of additional instruments to best support his creative side.
Reece is a gifted multi-instrumentalist who has not only written for and played drums in bands, but is a composer in his own right who is currently putting the finishing touches on his own long-form work under the name 'Pixels and Sound'. Reece is an alumnus of Somerset Music school. His natural warmth and gift for pedagogy makes him a very good teacher for students of any age.
Reece is a thoroughly progressive musician with an exceptional grasp of the language and mechanics of music who will help you develop your own musicianship and take it to the next level.
Anthony Stewart BMus, MTeach
Bass, Guitar, Piano, Vocal, Music Theory, Musicianship
Anthony completed his Bachelors degree in music in 2015, and completed his post-graduate studies in education in 2016. He has recently taught at Mount Annan High School, a school from which he is an alumnus.
Anthony was a student of Somerset Academy during his degree and has since worked with David Eaton as a member of Anubis. Anthony has toured overseas with the group and has written, performed and sang on the bands last two albums. Whilst he is predominantly a bass player, he is also a fine guitarist, pianist and vocalist with an exceptional grasp of music theory and finely honed composition skills.
Anton has the technical skill to tackle a very wide repertoire and a genuine talent and passion for teaching.
Lachlan Green (BMus Undergraduate)
Guitar and Piano
Lachlan is currently undertaking the second year of his Batchelors degree in music. He began his musical journey as a pianist and plays to a Grade 6 level. Being one of the youngest members of our team, Lachlan brings to his students a youthful enthusiasm backed up with considerable instrumental skill.
Lachlan, is a skilled and diverse guitarist who is equally at home on the challenges of fingerstyle acoustic, and still leave time for fretboard histrionics. He draws on a wide repetoire taking in everything from lounge jazz and bossa nova to progressive metal.
Lachlan completed his HSC Music 2 (extension) course via distance education in 2015, turning in two exceptional compositions for piano.